Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Emmmm-panada!!

I have never made empanadas before, but I will definitely make them again. These crescent-shaped delectable pillows of dough can be filled with a variety of ingredients like chicken, turkey or pork added with beans, cheese, vegetables or whatever you like, there’s sure to be at least one that appeals to your taste. There are even dessert empanadas like Tyler Florence’s Chocolate-Banana creation. This one’s going on my list of ‘Recipes I Need to Try’! Warm chocolate and bananas encased in a pastry shell?! Just think about digging into that and how wonderful it would taste?! My mouth is watering just thinking about it!!

Anyway…I digress!!

The recipe I chose (this time) is courtesy of Paula Deen which can be found on the Food Network website. (BTW…I am a Food Network junkie, so many of the recipes I write about will be from one of its shows. However, I promise to make a point of expanding my horizons and trying recipes outside of the Food Network collection too.) These Cheesiest Fried Chicken Empanadas are extremely easy to make and delightfully tasty. I chose this one especially for my 16-year-old son, because he loves cheese and it is just oozing with the stuff. Imagine a mixture of chicken, Colby & Monterey Jack cheeses, jalapeno, salt, pepper and cumin all held together by a little bit of cream cheese, then deep fried inside a pastry crust. Wow!! I think my new favorite seasoning is cumin. I’ve used it before in a vegetarian chili mixed with other spices, but having it as the sole spice in this dish was fantastic. It has such a distinct taste. My son couldn’t stop raving about the flavor.
Now it’s not the healthiest feast in the world, as it is deep fried in oil and the recipe calls for a Chili Con Queso Dip. But you can certainly bake them instead and omit the dip, as I did. You will seriously be happy with this recipe with or without the dip.

I invite you to share your favorite empanada recipe in the comments section of this post. (….and it doesn’t have to be off the Food Network website either!!)

Adios!!

1 comment:

sally said...

I LOVE Empanadas! Some of my personal favorites were from Jamacia! My husband and I could have eaten them all day, every day. They are called "patties", either filled with a vegatable mixture or a meat mixture. Soooooo good! Mmmmmm, makes me want to take a trip....